February 3, 2012

ABC's

Giovanni gave the message for Family Home Evening on Monday night. It was really good. He talked about how we all need a guide in our lives, something that can show us the direction that we need to go. He used a compass and gave the example of N,S,E, and W and how the compass will point us in the right direction. The same with the scriptures. They are our guide. They will point us in the direction that we should go.
Robert wrote home to us this last week and commented about some of their investigators and how they want the blessings that the gospel could bring to them but they aren't willing to follow the compass/guide. They have a hard time putting into practice what the missionaries are suggesting they do: pray, daily scripture reading (even a few versus), and church attendance. Then of course come the larger things such as no smoking, drinking, and etc. Robert made the comment that sometimes free agency isn't so good because it leads people to make the wrong choices. So...they just keep praying and doing their best.
The other thing that Giovanni shared with us was this thought. I have had it on my night stand all week and have read it several times. It makes sense to me.

THE ABC's of ABUNDANT LIFE

1. A is for Attitude.
We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. For maximum happiness and peace, and contentment, may you CHOOSE a positive attitude.
2. B for Believe.
Believe in yourself, in those around you and in eternal principles. Don't limit yourself and don't let others convince you that you are limited in what you can do.
Believe in yourself and then live so as to reach your possibilities.
3. C for Courage.
Courage is required to make an initial thrust toward one's goal, but even greater courage is called for when on stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says,
"I'll try again tomorrow".

Sometimes it is hard to have the right attitude, or to believe in ourselves, and courage is something that has to be developed as well. I know that I make a lot of mistakes everyday, and I am always "trying again tomorrow". But one thing that I have noticed. Have daily scripture reading has really helped me. Now I need to implement more the "study" portion of it. I'm working on it, but always trying to do it better and get it right.
I feel so blessed to have my husband and children by my side. They are the 3 people that make me want to be a better person. I don't have my sons for long...especially Robert. Even though he is coming home soon I know that his life will now take him down his own path as he becomes a man and makes his way for himself. I am going to cherish every moment that I have with him, and hope to not be a hovering mother. Thank goodness that Brian will be around for a few more years! I'm not ready to let him go yet. We've just started with the fun years!
A friend of ours told us yesterday of their son, and how he has a medical condition and needs to have surgery sometime around the middle of March. He is a young boy around Brian's age. It is something serious and could become even worse. There is a possibility of cancer. My heart ached yesterday for this family and especially for their son. Either way, because of the situation his life will be changed forever. He will have some struggles and obstacles to overcome. It has already been very difficult for him. For all of them.
They are LDS, but not very active in church. Giovanni offered to go and give them all a priesthood blessing. The mother commented that maybe a few days before the surgery it would be a good idea. So, when they call Giovanni and Robert will go together to administer to this family. We will continue to pray for them every day that they can be strong during this time. I hope the Lord will comfort them and bless them with peace.
As I was hearing about this situation all that I could think in my mind was how thankful I was for all the times I had said no to going to a party with friends, or to this function or  that. I thought how thankful I was for the time I had spent with my children doing things with them an creating those memories.
I was told that I might never have children. Robert came right away, but it took another 7 yrs for Brian, and a lot of heart ache and tears. They are what is most important to me. They will always come first. So yes, maybe I do hover, but because I thought I would never have them. I also realize that they are the Lords children and I have them on loan. I will have to answer one day to Him. I will have to explain why I did or didn't do certain things. What did I teach them? But most of all I will need to answer about how I loved them. In that area I won't be lacking. I only hope that my boys know how much I love them.

It is almost 5 AM and my work day is about to begin. Another thing I'm thankful for....a job that lets me be flexible enough to be around when my family needs me. I better get at it.

No comments: