February 5, 2012

FAST SUNDAY

Today is Fast Sunday.
It is the last one before Robert will be home.
I have been reflecting back over the past two years or so and all the many blessings that we have received.
I have also been thinking a lot about the weeks leading up to Robert's departure. So bittersweet.
I remember vividly his last Fast Sunday here. It was February of 2010. We were sitting in one of the back rows in the chapel. Right by where you walk in.
I knew that day that Robert wanted to bear his testimony. I could feel it. And I wanted to bear mine too.
Announcements were given, hymns were sung, we took the sacrament, and testimonies were bore by several members.
I glanced over at Robert and saw a few tears in his eyes. Brian was rubbing his brother's back. I looked forward again, and listened.
Then I glanced again at Robert. This time he had tears streaming down his face that he could not control. His eyes were red and getting puffy. He was rubbing them, trying to make the tears stop flowing.
I glanced at Brian and the same thing was happening to him. Then to me. Within about 5 minutes the Bona's on the back row were all crying.
I think the realization that this was it for a while sunk in! And it was hard.
None of us were able to control our emotions enough to get up and walk to the pulpit.
However, I do know that the Lord knew what we felt in our hearts that day.
We knew what each other felt as well.
I don't remember what was said that day. But I remember still how I felt.
After the meeting Robert and Brian left.
They went to the Provo Temple and walked around and spent some time together.
Later Brian told me that Robert told him that now he would be the one to look after mom and dad and for him to be a good boy. Basically he gave him the big brother talk.
Brian did what his brother told him to do.
It is now February and it is the last fast Sunday before Robert comes home.
I wonder if today he cried in church. Did he bear his testimony? I'm sure he did.
I probably will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I cried through this one.

It's so soon! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to meet Elder Bona!

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

I still cannot believe he has been gone for 2 years Judi. I remember the night we ran into y'all at target right before he was leaving...