November 4, 2011

TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR

my mission, and the opportunity to serve in the Italy Catania Mission. I made some wonderful friends there and met some amazing people. Some of them have had a great influence on the person that I am today. There are too many to name then all. I would be here writing for the next 100 hrs. But I can tell you that each one of them has been a blessing in my life. I have had the opportunity to reconnect with some of them over the years, and I am thankful that our friendships continue. Others I have not heard from or seen since those years in Italy, but I still remember them and the experiences that we shared together and the talks and walks that we had through the streets of Taranto, Brindisi, Bari, Reggio Calabria, Siracusa, and Palermo. I will be eternally grateful to a loving Father in Heaven who through His tender mercy sent me to such a wonderful country among wonderful people.

There is one person in particular who I really do owe my life to. I may not be here today to write this blog if it wasn't for her. Sorella D (aka Natalee). We were serving in Brindisi together. We had been there for a few months...and it was during the summer. One of the hottest ones they had in a long time. The work was hard, and we were knocking on a lot of doors. It wasn't glamours but we were happy to be there and to be compaions. I think that we had a few growing pains at first. But we really did love each other, and we would laugh, a lot. I was thankful to have her as my companion!

I had not felt well for a few days and one day ended up in bed very sick. We had an appointment at the church with a new investigator and since we didn't have many we didn't want to miss it...so Sorella D told me to get out of bed and that I would be fine and for us to go. I got up and dressed and off we went. The church was on the other side of town and we had to take a ferry boat to get there...it was quicker than the bus. Off we went. By the time we got to the church I really thought I was going to die. I've never been in so much pain and felt so sick before. Needless to say I made a small (well, maybe kind of large) scene at the church before Mario got there. When he came in I was green. He could tell I wasn't well. He stopped a car in the middle of the road and made Sorella D and I get in the car with these two men that we didn't know and have them take us to the ER. I don't know if I was more afraid of being in the car with people I didn't know, or going to the ER.

When we got to the ER they took me right in. I had Sorella D come in with me and the doctors' and nurses started poking and proding me. Drawing blood (later to find out with a used needle! I had to be tested for HIV for several years because of it). etc...I was terrified. This whole time Sorella D was right there holding my hand and telling me everything would be okay. The doctors came back and said they needed to operate immeiately. I told my dear sweet companion that I wouldn't go to surgery until she found the Elders. I wanted a blessing. I had to have one. I knew that I would die without it. Just becuase of fear, but because I really knew that I could die. Which the doctors confirmed to me a few days later. I was that close. We waited about 4 hrs until the Elders could be found and made it to the hospital. They gave me a priesthood blessing in the elevator going up the the operating room. And there was Sorella D right by my side the whole time.

When I woke up, who knows how much later, there she was...my dear Sorella (sister). She had her head down on my bed. I am sure that she was exhausted. But she didn't leave me. She stayed right there with me the whole time. Now...there is something that you need to know. Sorella D was a tough cookie, or it least she tried to act like she was. But I could see in her eyes her fear, and how tired she was. But I also could see her love and concern for me. She was the type that didn't like to be touched to much and it was hard for her to let people inside. She had a wall around her. I was the type that I would hug anyone and let everyone in to know everything. So...needless to say we were very different. But there she was, ready and willing to help me. I couldn't get up the first few days and she even helped me with the bed pan. Something that to this day, 22+ years later we still joke about. But I can tell you, that when she did that for me I know that she really did love me. And that she wasn't as hard as I thought, and that I had passed through her wall...just a bit, but she had let me in.

Years have past since those days in Brindisi. I got married and moved back to Italy. She stayed here in the states, married a great guy (he also served with us in Catania) and our paths have not crossed to often...but we do still keep in touch. And I am so thankful for that!

I love you Natalee. Thank you for showing me so much love and kindness. You were a role model for me for the rest of my mission, and even in life of what it really means to love and serve. You made a larger impact on my life than you will ever know. I also know that I am here today because you wouldn't give up on finding the Elders and you stood by me and took care of me. I only hope that one day I can become the type of woman that you already are.

I love you!!

3 comments:

Texas Boy + SLC Girl said...

Missions are the BEST . So thankful and grateful for those!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I must not be as tough as I used to be, because I am in tears after reading this post. You might be very interested to know that I cry all of the time now, and I am the official "door hugger" in R.S. I never realized until this past year, just how much of a wall I had up. We will have to get together soon, because you will be quite happy to know that my wall came crumbling down! I would give anything to have tickets for Time Out for Women this year with you. Thank you for being one of my angels that never gave up on me and still locked arms with me as we strolled down the street. You taught me how to love, Sorella. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I posted a comment, but I think I did something wrong, so I will try again. You made me cry! Yes, I cry now. We will have to get together soon, because you will be happy to know that my wall came crumbling down this past year. I never realized I had such a wall! But, I thank you for never giving up on me, and for still locking arms with me when we strolled down the cobble stone streets of Italy.You are one of the angels in my life. You taught me how to love. Thank you.