March 4, 2010

RIPPED OUT LIKE A BANDAID

Yesterday we took Robert to the MTC. Wow! Was that hard! Harder than I ever thought it would be.
I am now a member of a club that only mothers' can join. I am the mother of a missionary!
When we said good bye to Robert yesterday I thought I would die. Let me draw the picture for you. Just the last 5 minutes of it...
We leave the temple grounds where we have just taken a few pictures. I tell Robert that I want a picture in front of the MTC sign..he says no, that he just wants to go and get it over with. To not add more stress I say okay, but make him promise to take one and send it to me. Tradition, right?!
We then are stopped by a man who asks where Robert is going, and puts a pink sticky note on our windshield and tells us to go left and follow...we do as we are told. There are these numbered signs and missionaries waving with smiles on their faces. We arrive at number 17 or 18 and are told to pull over.
As we do so there are 2 elders that are there to greet us. They are smiling and happy! Thank goodness for that! They ask Robert, "Where are you going to serve Elder?" He replies, "Milan Italy". "Welcome to the MTC". "We have a few questions to ask you, do you have your car keys, no? good, house keys, no? good! cell phone? no, great!" Tell you family goodbye and let's get your luggage. A hug for dad....a hug for Brian as he tells him to be good, and a hug for mom...who doesn't want to ever let go!!!! A huge lump in my throat and tears that start to flow. Robert that says, "I love you mom. Don't cry. I will see you soon. It is only 2 years!"
I think in my mind, Only 2 years! That is forever. I keep holding on and one of the Elders says, Okay, let's go!
Let me tell you what it is like to see your son grab his bag and turn his back to you and walk away...Like ripping a band aid off your leg that hasn't been shaved for a year or two! It hurt so bad!
Then to come home to a quiet house!!! It is like the day after Christmas. You have the big let down, and on top of that, someone has taken your Christmas presents as well!!!
I read scriptures last night and said my prayers. As I prayed I began to cry. I went to bed sniffling and tears leaking out of my eyes!
This morning when I woke up the lump was gone. However...I just realized that two years is a very long time!!! But it is okay! He will be okay! He will be more that okay! He will be GR8!!!!!!!
So proud of him~ but I can't wait to get a letter from him!!!!
Miss you son, and I will for approx 729 more days!!!

1 comment:

The Jeffs Family said...

I can't even imagine how hard that must be! How nice that they don't prolong the tears anymore though. That was always so hard sitting through the video and talks before saying good-bye. You should be proud of the great children you are raising!