February 24, 2012

ONE WEEK....AND WE DID IT!

Giovanni, Brian, and I set a goal when Robert left on his mission. We were going to read the Book of Mormon once each year. (If you want to know more about the LDS faith, go here.) After a few months we realized that it wasn't going to happen the way we hoped, so we modified our goal. We wanted to finish before Robert came home from his mission.
We are not perfect scripture readers. In fact, it is one of our downfalls, one of many I should say. Anyway...there were nights that got skipped, or instead of reading a chapter or a page we only read a verse or two...but we kept going. Never giving up! We would take turns reading and sometimes those reading sessions would turn into laughing...when you have a 13 yr old son who loves to joke around and a husband who loves the Simpson's what do you expect? But that is what made it all the funner. (Is that even a word?)
Well....last night we did it! We finished reading the Book of Mormon! I am so proud of us. And it was a wonderful experience to do it together as a family. I am sure that Robert read it several more times than we did over the past two years, but we did it!!!
Last night as we read Chapter 10 and Moroni's promise to those who earnestly pray and seek for the truth I was overcome by the spirit. Once again it was confirmed to me that the gospel is true. Tears came streaming down my cheeks and Brian looked at me and shook his head as he continued to read (he thinks I cry way to much....and he is right).
I thought back to my days as a missionary in Italy and walking those cobblestone streets (yes, some are still there!) and bearing witness of a savior that loves us and of the Book of Mormon. My thoughts then turned to Robert and what he has been doing for the past 2 years and my heart swelled with pride for a son that was and willing to sacrifice two years of his life and dedicate it to the Lord.
I'm thankful that the boys and I finished the Book of Mormon last night. I am looking forward to beginning again next weekend with Robert here. I hope that he will stay home long enough for us to get through it one more time as a family.

----------------------------------

Now as a side note. It is all coming to an end. In one more week Robert will be coming home from his mission. I am so full of so many emotions. It has been an amazing two years. We have looked forward to his weekly emails (I may need to ask him to keep sending me an email once a week because I might go through withdraws) and to read of the people that the is serving and his experiences. It has also been wonderful to see how he has grown and changed.
He isn't perfect...we know that ...be he is different. I so look forward to sitting and talking with him, and laughing and listening to his stories.
In his letter that he wrote last week he mentioned that during these two years the one thing that he learned was that he needed to rely on the Lord. What greater blessing could he have received then to know that his Father in Heaven is there for him, and each one of us. All we need to do is go to Him.
Thank you son for 2 wonderful years. We are so proud of you. We love you!
We can't wait to see you.
Love, Mom

No comments: