December 8, 2011

Dear Robert

It has been more than 600 days since I have seen your smiling face up close or heard you laugh at one of my silly jokes. We haven't heard you call dad "Homie" or watched you and Brian play ball together.
The house is quieter with out you here. Even though Brian does do his best to make sure that the noise volume is still high. What would we do without his laughing and joking around. Thank goodness for him to keep us company and make us laugh. I have realized I'm not ready to be an empty nester, yet! I have 6 more years before that will happen, thank goodness.
When we get your emails every Wednesday we all smile and read and re-read your words. I use to be sad when you would write, because I would miss you so much. But over the past two years those letters have become a source of strength and support for us. We are so thankful for them. When I served in Italy everything was done with snail mail. Thank goodness that isn't how it is now. I don't think I would have the patience for that.
I know that you don't write a lot of personal things, because that isn't your "style". I understand you better now. I know that you have those personal experiences that have made and make you strong. When I read what you write I see a changed boy...man. You have grown and matured. Yes, you are still you...but you're different.
I know that your testimony has grown and that you do have a great love for the gospel and for the work that you have been called to do. I also respect you feelings to keep things private. Be it about you, or the people you come into contact with. But I can't wait until you are home and we can talk about your experiences and the people you have met, the friends you have made, the lives you helped to better and the sad and funny experiences...the good and the bad. It will be such a joy to watch your face as you recount what you have experienced. It will also be a wonderful experience for your brother. Even though he tells us constantly, "I'm not Robert", I still see his desire to be like up you, or to live up to the standard that you have set.
Thank you for the example that you have set for Brian. And for your father and I. We made a lot of errors with you. Things that we can't go back and change. But with Brian we are trying to be different. To be better. It is hard. Growing pains are felt, but it least we are growing, and making progress. That is what is important.
Our home is different. There really is a spirit here that wasn't here two years ago. I feel the difference. And I am thankful for it. I have told so many people of the blessings that we have received since you went on your mission. I'm almost afraid for when you come home...then what happens? We will have to work 10x harder to keep the blessings coming. ha ha!
I love "chatting" with people on FB and hearing what they have to say about you. What amazing compliments:
He is such a fine young man
He has such a wonderful spirit
You and Giovanni have done a great job as parents. He is so wonderful.
He is so handsome and as nice as he is good looking
He is so kind to everyone
He has made such a difference here
He shares his testimony with me and it makes me stronger
He is one of the best missionaries that our branch has had in years, he has made such a difference
Thank you for sharing your son with us

How can a parent not feel proud and blessed to have a son like that?


This picture was taken Dec 3 in La Spezia at a members wedding

When people ask me...How can you give up your son for two years..my answer is always the same. Because you wanted to serve a mission. To bring others to Christ and for them to have the joy and happiness that you have. When I look at these pictures of you and see the joy and happiness in your eyes...how could I have ever denied you the experiences that you are having.




It will be Christmas in 9 days. And I miss you. I have your stocking hung. I sent you your Christmas package two months ago because I wanted to make sure that you got it on time. However. I have no regrets that you are not here with us.

I think of that babe, born in a manger. Of a star shinning brightly in the sky. I think of angels singing and shepherds rejoicing. I think of a father looking at his newborn son. The kings that brought gifts. The people who knew that the Messiah was born. The king of kings. And then...I think of my Father in Heaven. He gave his son willingly for each one of us. He knew that people would not believe he was the son of God. He knew that one day he would be raised on the cross. But he sent him anyway. He loved each one of us enough to send a savior so that we could someday return home. To progress and become like our Father and to have the ability to repent.



I hope that this holiday season you can remember the reason for the season. This is your last Christmas as a missionary. Take the time to savor the moment. Reflect on these past two years and all that you have done and most importantly the experiences that you have had to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord.

We love you son. Thank you for being the man you are.

Love,
Mom

No comments: