November 28, 2011

DAY #27

Today I am thankful for Christmas lights. When the house is dark and quiet with Christmas music playing softly I sit and look at the lights on the tree and I feel sweet peace

There are no words to describe the peace I feel when the house is dark and I look at the lights on a Christmas tree.
I think back to the first Christmas that Gio and I spent together. December 1990. We bought a small tree and some red balls and tinsel and a few lights. It was a small simple tree with no fancy decorations, and there would only be a few, actually 2, gifts under the tree, but it was a lovely tree. So full of promise and hope for the future. Robert would be born a few weeks later and we would sit and look at the light and talk of our future.
Now, 21 years later, it is the same. We sit looking at the tree and the flickering lights. The feeling is the same. Love. Peace. Joy. There will be a few more gifts under the tree this year compared to that first Christmas. But the feelings are the same. Brian will be here with us and we will delight in watching his face as he opens his gifts. Then there will be the phone call from Robert. We will sit around the phone for an hour talking to him. Then...we will sit back and talk about our future. When Robert will be home. How he and Brian will laugh and tease one another. The joy we will feel.
It makes me think of Mary all those years ago. The peace, love, and joy that she too must have felt thinking of her son, soon to be born. And who knows what she must have thought when she saw the star shinning so bright in the sky. Her Christmas light.
Thanksgiving has past, but I am still remembering the reason for the season, and I will always be thankful!

No comments: