November 12, 2011

11.11.11

Did you all make a wish today? Once or twice? I hope, whatever your wish may have been, that it will come true. 11.11.11 doesn't come around very often...in fact I'm sure there won't be another one in my lifetime, and probably not in my children's lifetime either. So I guess it really is a big deal.
There is another reason though that today is a special day. And that brings me to what I am thankful for...today is Veteran's Day. It is the day that we honor those in our armed forces, past and present. It is a day of reflection and gratitude for those who have protected and served our country in the past and to remember those who are doing so now.
I have my own opinion of war and I may not always agree (true, I don't know the full, real story, so who am I to judge) but I am also so thankful to those who put on a uniform or carry a gun, or even those who sit behind a desk in the name of protecting and serving our country to keep us free.
My grandfather and father were in the Navy, in the CB's. They weren't the ones carrying the guns, but they still served their country and did it honorably. I am so thankful to both of them and their sacrifices and service.
I hope that today and every day we can remember those men and women in uniform. And their families. They all give so much for you and me.
Every time I look at a flag, or hear the pledge recited, or the national anthem sung I get a chill down my spine. I am thankful and proud to be an American...and it is because of men and women who have given their lives and their time to help make us free.
I know that it isn't enough...but Thank you!

No comments: