July 13, 2011

THOUGHTS FROM GIOVANNI

This blog post is actually part of the email that Giovanni sent to Robert this week. I loved what he wrote and wanted to share it...I hope he doesn't get upset but I think what he wrote is beautiful!


Caro figlio mio


Today I was walking/running at my favorite place ...the Provo River trail...in Provo canyon. Let me preface you that I am totally out of shape and haven't done serious exercise for a long time...but I don't give up. I try to do something everyday. Anyway I wanted to tell you of some thoughts that came to my mind while I was running.

As you know, it is a nice 3.5 miles from the bottom of the canyon up to Bridal Veil...going uphill. On top of this you need to remember it was pretty hot (90) but it was such a bright day that I could not pass it!

I stretched and prepared a little bit before I started my run. I felt pretty confident on my ability to make it with no problem. On the right side the river was flowing pretty full, after a long winter with a lot of snow. After a few minutes at a good pace, the temperature and my lack of preparation started to impact my ability to keep up my pace. Soon enough I found my self very tired, with legs hard like a rock and just ready to quit. I was really disappointed in myself because after all- it was a nice day today..I had wonderful music and the desire to reach my ultimate goal.. Resting and enjoying for a few minutes the beautiful Bridal Veil Falls.

The moment I stopped my attention was grabbed by an incredible -multicolor- splendid butterfly. I rarely have seen such a simple but perfect creation. She was there by my right side ...kinda looking at me! I was surprised that she didn't fly away. After a few moments I started walking and, to my surprise, the butterfly started flying going the same direction I was going (towards BVF)...and more or lees at the same pace I was walking. At the beginning I didn't pay too much attention to that, but when I stopped again I noticed that the butterfly stopped again...not too far from me. This happened a couple of times. Every time I felt tired the little farfalla was there to "keep me company". Then when I started running ...she didn't leave me alone...and kinda kept flying by my side. It gave me the impression she was trying to encourage me. It freaked me out at the same time...but for the most, I felt she was there to let me know my goal was not too far. Eventually I reached the place and she flew away toward the river.

While relaxing and watching the Falls, I realized that a similar situation happens quite often in our lives. Sometimes we feel tired, alone and we want to "rest" even though we haven't reached our final goal. We feel we don't have energy or that no-one else is there to support us. The thing is that if we pay attention we have our own " farfalla" that guides us and supports us and keeps us company when everybody else is gone. That is our Savior Jesus Christ. He is the only one who cheers for us when we are heartbroken and disappointed. He is the one who keeps saying "Don't give up". He is the one who carries us in the hardest moments, even though sometimes we are "testadura" (hardheaded) and we don't want to admit that.... Now another thing that I realized while I was coming down.

As you know, coming down ..is pretty fun especially if you have a bike or a long board. You can get pretty good speed over there. After resting a while I started to come down. After all I told Mama Judi that I would be back in time for dinner so we could sit together - enjoy the meal and read the scriptures (we are at Alma 17). The butterfly was long gone and definitely the stride is easier going downhill. I kept to my left - the space for runners- so anyone with a bike or long board could easily pass me.

The river is on the left. I noticed that the bikers try to stay on the right end side to give themselves enough space from the river and the runners, but all of a sudden this kid - probably around 16yrs old- was coming down full speed on a long board. With the corner of my eye I could see that if he would have kept that trajectory- on a curve he would have gone straight in the river. Let me tell you...right now you don't want to get in that river because even an experienced swimmer would probably get lost.

I could not have stopped that kid ...first because I am slow and my reflexes are not that good but also because his momentum would have pushed me also into the river.

A split second before he would have ended in the river he decided to make the right decision and that was to jump off his "missile" and try to stop the board. He succeeded and smiled at me saying.." oh no..I definitely don't want to go that way". The kid made a smart choice and stop his "percorso" to save his life.

This event made me realize how important it is to stay away from possible "curves" or dangerous situations because you don't want to take a chance to wait until the "last moment" to jump "boat" and save your self. It might be too late. It's better to stay in the middle of the path, away from the edge, and with a normal speed, because a person not only can hurt him/her self but also hurt someone else at the same time!

I love you son. Stay safe physically ans spiritually. Take care of your companion. Laugh and have fun. Life is an adventure and it is beautiful with all the ups and downs.

Love ya

Papa'

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

That was beautiful, Gio!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful message.