June 27, 2011

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

My friend Cheryl wrote this post. It is funny that she would write this at the same time that I have been thinking something similar, yet different.
I grew up in California, in the Bay Area. My parents had joined the LDS faith several years before I was born and we were raised as active members of our church. I grew up knowing right from wrong and had a strong belief in God. In California however, if you were LDS you were the minority. Being "mormon" (as LDS people are also known by) wasn't cool....it was hard. You had to really believe. People were watching you and judging you and waiting for you to make a mistake.
Sad to say I made lots of "mistakes" growing up! I had a testimony of the gospel, however, I was more concerned with friends, or maybe the lack thereof and so what happened...I got caught up with the wrong group of kids. And started doing a lot of wrong things. My parents tried their best to raise me the right way, and they did love me and wanted to best for me, but I was the rebellious one. I did a lot of things that I shouldn't have done...and it took me a while to realize that and to want to change. But I did have the desire to change. I just didn't know how to do it on my own.
Funny thing happened...my parents decided to leave California and move to Utah, and not just any place in Utah, but to Utah Valley, or as it is sometimes known, Happy Valley! I thought I would die at first. I remember growing up and hearing all about the "Utah Mormons" and how they are so different from the "real ones" who live outside of Utah. Well...Pleasant Grove Utah was a shocker to me. Puffy hair, penny loafers, people saying "oh my heck", and all the other stereotype comments and looks. And every one was so nice...always smiling, laughing, helping one another, etc. It was unbelievable. I would have never  believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.
Moving to Utah was the best thing that could have ever happened to me at the point in my life. I had the change to start over. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't robbing banks, or things like that, just dumb stuff that kids do. But I could repent in private and start fresh. How thankful I am for that fresh start and for the people that became my friends. I dated some nice boys and had good wholesome fun. YSA activities and dances, etc.
My parents use to say that they moved to Utah to save my soul. They might have been joking about it, but it is the truth. It was a fresh start for me. One that I needed.
I ended up going on an LDS mission to Italy, I met a wonderful man and we were married in the temple. We have two wonderful children and one of them is now serving a mission. We may not be rich, probably never will be...but we are happy. We are slowly realizing what is really important in life. Our family, our children, our testimonies of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I guess I have thought a lot about this over the past few days because of the vacation that we are on right now. We spent a day in St. George to go to the Tuacahn, and while there we went to the St. George temple and the visitor's center. It was a wonderful experience there. I am so glad that we stopped. We saw a presentation on families and how important they are to the plan of our Father in Heaven. Also about how families can be together forever. It is something that I have known forever and have always believed in...but it was so nice to just have a reminder and to feel the spirit bear witness again of the truths that we know.
After living in Italy for several years and then moving back to Utah I remember thinking I would never live in Happy Valley. Yet, we moved here in 1999 and have no intention of moving.
Sometimes it has been hard. Sometimes our views are a bit different then the average LDS person. We might teach or expose our children to things that other families don't approve or agree with. We are open in our discussions and views towards certain topics. Sometimes it has been hard to be considered the "outcast". And that is how I have felt at times. But I realize better now what it is.
People do have these "bubbles" around them, like my friend Cheryl wrote about. People protect themselves from what is different or what they don't understand, and when we are in a comfort zone we don't choose to look any further. And that is sad. I feel that the only way that we can really learn about different things and to be more accepting is to learn and expose and understand. We don't have to agree or live in a way that isn't in accordance with our beliefs, however, we need to learn to accept and understand the differences that we all have.
We have been in Las Vegas for a few days now. There is diversity here. But you know what the great thing is...my son isn't shocked by it. He understands that people are different and he is okay with that. Because he knows who he is and what he believes. But he knows that each one of us, no matter who we are is a child of God, and valuable to our heavenly father.
We live in a bubble in Utah, and I love that bubble...especially because as parents we have been able to modify that bubble to fit our  family life. It has also been a way to teach our children to be tolerant of others that are the "same as them, not just of those that are different or don't believe the same or act the same."
I guess what I'm trying to say here is...I love Utah and the bubble that I live it, but I'm also thankful to modify it to fit my family, and to leave it once in a while as well. It makes me appreciate it even more when I get home.

1 comment:

Gio, Tasha, and Bella said...

I agree with you. I am originally from oregon and never thought I would stay in utah. I can't imagine a better place to raise my kids. I hope we get to stay here. I love the spirit of the people here.