January 14, 2011

HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY ROBERT (ANZIANO BONA)

There will be no big birthday party this year. No cake, ice cream, candles, or presents to watch him open. No special breakfast, or favorite restaurant for dinner. No movie. No outward celebrations.
However, my heart is burning with pride, joy, and happiness. The tears are swelling in my eyes as I remember 20 yrs ago when I held that sweet precious little boy in my arms for the very first time. I counted every finger and toe to make sure they were all there. He was perfect, really. And beautiful! And he was my son.
I remember thinking to myself. What type of a world is he coming in to. The first Gulf War was just starting..the Americans were starting to bomb Iraq and I remember the nurses at the Clinica San Camelo where Robert was born asking me...."what have you done?"....I thought...."I just had a baby", and I smiled.
I was more concerned with the type of mother that I would be. Could I love this little baby enough. Could I take care of him. Could I give him everything that he needed. Would the Lord be there to help me. I was alone in a foreign country. Not really alone...I had Giovanni and his family...but I still felt alone those first few days..but slowly realized that even though I was far from my family, that we had a new family there in Italy that would take care of us, and watch over us.
There were so many people...the Cicco's, Amato, Fama', Nostro, Cuscina', and  Olivieri families, and Katia, Angelo, and so many others. They all taught me how to raise a little boy in Italy. Most of all though I had a wonderful husband, Giovanni..who was there with me every step of the way. We had been blessed with that little boy, that angel from heaven and we were going to do our very best with him.
Robert Louis Francesco Bona....he had a long name for such a tiny baby. But he has grown into that name. He is as big and great as that name. And he is worthy of his heritage.

A few things about Robert:
* beautiful eyes and lashes
* lovely smile
* kind heart
* friends with everyone
* wonderful big brother
* good example to those around him
* loves video games
* excellent texter (could hide the phone under the table at meal time and still text w/out looking)
* fast driver
* sincere
* honest
* reliable and dependable
* integrity
* LOVES ice cream
* double jointed arms (we could tell you stories!)
* loves the temple
* loves the Lord
* private
* emotional
* funny
* loves to laugh and have fun
* love popcorn
* loves movies...did i say LOVES movies!!!!

I hope that this 20th birthday that he will spend in Milan as a missionary will be one of his best yet. I hope that he will remember how much I love him and how proud of him I am. I only hope that I have lived up to his expectation of what a mother should be.















I don't have any baby pictures of Robert scanned so these are just a few that I thought I would share

auguri robertino!!!
ti vogliamo tanto bene!!!

No comments: