April 23, 2010

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER

Last night Giovanni received a text about 1030 PM from one of his past employees whose husband had been in the hospital, letting us know that he wasn't doing well and it seemed like the end was near.
Giovanni put his shoes on and ran out the door to the hospital to be there with the family. After a short time he texted me and said that I should bring some oil and go to the hospital. I looked frantically all over the house for consecrated oil and couldn't find it! I know we have some because we gave some to Robert in his container before he left on his mission. But of course, who knows where I put the rest of it! I couldn't find it in the usual place ,so I grabbed my keys and ran out the door...hoping to knock on a neighbors door and get theirs to borrow. I went to a few homes where there were priesthood holders just knowing for sure they would have some. One of the neighbors didn't answer the door (remember by now it is almost 11PM and I probably wouldn't answer my door at that time of night!). The other home I went to answered, but no oil! I remember thinking how is that possible, your a priesthood holder! Then I thought to myself..who am I to judge..I can't find ours either! So off I went to the hospital just the same, empty handed.
By the time I got there it was to late for oil anyway. This poor man had flat lined 3 times within about 30+ minutes and as I got there the family had made the decision to stop having the hospital work on him.
Gio and I, along with the family, went into the room, and one of the sons and Giovanni released him so that he could return home to his Father in Heaven. This son is the only member of the LDS church in the family. And the family wanted to release him so that he could go home.
It was a very moving experience to watch all of this take place.
As he took his last breaths he was circled by his family and loved ones. The each went to him and said goodbye and held his hand, and cried.
To see that family in so much pain and suffering brought to my mind how thankful I am to know that we believe and know that families really can be together forever. To know that this life is not the end of things, but a middle of the road..a path that must be taken to arrive at something so much better. This life is full of pain and sorrow and death is something that each one of us will experience, but it really is a right of passage on to eternal life.
As we were in that hospital room I was reminded of 6 years earlier in the same hospital as my mother slowly slipped from this life and the pain and anguish that I felt at that moment. There really are no words to express what you feel when a loved one passes on. I didn't know that it could actually cause physical pain in my heart and to even breath. I thought that pain would never go away. But with time it has subsided.
I still miss my mother and think of her often and wish that she were here with us. She would be so proud of our children. To see Brian doing ballroom dancing, or the science fair...or read about Robert and his mission experiences. But then I remember that she is here with us. She is looking down on us everyday. When I need someone to talk I know that she is listening to me. When I have tried to make her Greek cookies or cook a Turkey for the first time her memory is there and I can see how she did it.
Most of all though, I know that I will see her again someday and we will hug one another and the reunion will be oh so sweet.
Death makes you realize how important life and living really are. We should make sure that every day we are letting our families know how much we love them and appreciate them. We need to be building memories.
I use to be a fanatic about my house be clean and everything in perfect order. I think that I drove my family crazy being so OCD about it. But now I realize that the house will always need to be picked up, laundry to be done, dinner to be cooked, dusting, vacuuming, etc...but my children will grow up before I am ready for them to and then one day they will be out the front door building lives and families of their own, and I won't have anymore time with them.
Last week Kaitlyn died and this week Jerry. It has brought death closer to our door than it has been in a long time. However, it has helped me to remember the real reason that we are here on this earth. It has also reminded me once again of why the work that Robert is going forth to do is so important. Families and forever and they can be eternal.
I have hope in a brighter tomorrow because of my faith.
I feel so blessed to have the family I have. A wonderful husband and children. We let the small stuff get in the way sometimes and experiences like the one we had last night are a sweet and humble reminder of what life really is all about.
Rest in peace Jerry and Kaitlyn
And mom, I love you!

2 comments:

Gio, Tasha, and Bella said...

Thank you for all the beautiful things you had to say. I am so glad to have the gospel and to know that we will be with them again. I am so sad to hear about Laverne and her family. I hope they can find some comfort right now.

julie said...

That was beautiful Judi!!!