December 18, 2009

ROBERTS' SURGERY

Robert had his hand operated on yesterday. We had to be at the hospital at 6 AM even though he was scheduled for 7:30 AM. They have to go through all their paper work, prep, etc. The doctors came back and spoke with us about what they were going to do and what they wanted the outcome to be. Seemed like a fairly routine surgery, but as a parent you always worry.
Robert looked so cute in his hopsital pj's waiting for them to come and wheel him away.

He especially loved it when they had him put his little hat on.

We then went and waited until around 11 AM or so for him to get out and wake up. I told the nurses that it would be best to shoot some Mountain Dew in his IV...it would make him wake up sooner! We were expecting a small wrap that went up to his wrist and around his hand, little did we know that he would have a hand that had the shape of a ducks head...we now call him "the claw"!


Finally after waking up and drinking and eating something it was time to get up and see if he could walk. He was on some heavy pain meds by this time, so I think it was a trial for him when he first got up, but by the time he came back down the hall he was doing okay.

The nurse who helped him out and gave all the release information was a very nice lady and was truely concerned for his well being. Even though she talked a lot (I think even more than me!) she really wanted to make sure that Robert was taken care of and the he would be healed and ready to enter the MTC on time! She was a kind lady!
Time to go home. Robert had a sweet ride to take him out to our car! He saw the wheelchair and said,"heck no!", but he did! And loved it. I am sure!

We went and got his medicine...ate some lunch at home and then he slept on and off most of the afternoon. And what a sport, he watched Julie and Julia with me last night. He was really a good sport because he let me take pictures to document the event.
What I learned from yesterday is that I love my kids more than anything in the world and I would do anything for either on of them.
My house may not always be as clean as I would like. I might not be able to get them all the presents they want, or go and see and do what they would like. But we are happy. We laugh together, we care about each other and we love each other.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

you really are so cute with your family! i love that you took pics of robert from start to finish (worrying the whole time) with his surgery! ALL your boys are lucky to have you!!!