June 25, 2009

WHAT WARMS MY HEART

Over the past few days I've been thinking a lot about all the technology that we have around us and how amazing it is that I can live in Utah, yet find friends on the other side or the world that I haven't talked to in years, thanks to a website called Facebook or through a blog on line.
It has been a blessing for me, even though my family says I'm addicted. I have found or been found by so many people from my previous life, when I was Judi Clifton, and it has brought back so many wonderful memories and feelings.
I have been in touch with people that I grew up with in California, or people that I served my mission with in Italy, or people that I knew in the MTC before departing for Italy. I am so thankful for all those wonderful experiences that I had and to talk with all these newfound friends again. It really has been wonderful.
I have felt those same feelings all over again that I experienced in the mission field. Feelings of love and gratitude for my Father in Heaven for the opportunity that I had to serve a mission and for the people that I met while in Italy.
I've also relived some of my high shcool years. Those are not always good, but those years also helped to make me what I am today.
I'm also thankful to have a blog where I can write down my feelings and share my thoughts. I'm not the best at keeping a journal, but in a way, this is my journal. It is just an open book for other's to read, and that is okay. It just makes me think more about what I'm going to write and who is going to read it.
When I look at Brian, my almost 11 year old, and I see how comfortable he is on the computer I realize how far technology has come since I was a child. I remember having a word processor. Am I showing my age yet? I thought that thing was high tech, but now Brian sits down stairs on a laptop and watches movies and makes plans with his friends with the push of a few keys.
Robert on the other hand is all into text messaging. Though he is slowly appreciating facebook even more now that he is graduated. His big addiction right now is poker with his buddies on line. He'll win big someday..even if it is in his virtual dream!
I was chatting with an old friend from the MTC who I haven't talked to in 20 years and it was so nice to catch up with her for a few minutes. The feelings that I felt while talking to her made me feel so good inside. Thanks Julie for finding me tonight! It brought tears to my eyes and warmed my soul for a few short minutes.
Some may say that computers aren't always the best and that we can waste a lot of time on them. I know that I do need to be better at organizing my time, but I can say this...if the feelings that I felt tonight are what technology is all about, then I'm grateful!
Not being able to go to church right now because of work has made me realize how much I miss it and want to be there, so if this key board, monitor, and mouse are a way for me to feel the spirit for a few moments, then I'll take it.
Don't get me wrong...I don't just blog or facebook, I go to the church websites and there are other places where I visit as well...but real people are what warms my heart!

1 comment:

julie said...

THANK-U Judi, it truly is wonderful to talk with old friends that you haven't seen forever but think about often! it really warms the heart!
I love your writting/jounal keeping, you express yourself so well, keep in touch, love ya.