April 2, 2010

CHIPPY

As many of you know I served my mission in the Italy Catania Mission. I served from Jan 1988 to July 1989. It really was the best 19 months of my life (up to that point). I had so many wonderful experiences and met so many amazing people. Through Facebook I have even rekindled friendships with people from another era in my life. I am not the best at keeping in touch with people even though I think about many of them often.
I really need to go up into our attic and pull down my mission pictures and scan in a few of them. Maybe I will attempt to do that over the next week or so and post a few here...
I have been telling Robert that the people that he meets on his mission and his companions will become some of his dearest friends and people that he will never forget.
Also, sometimes people re-enter your life in the strangest way. We found out several years ago that one of the members of our LDS ward is the brother of one of my companions. That member is now my Bishop. He is a great man. Different from his sister but just as special.
You ask, why are you telling us this? Because last night there was a knock on our front door and when I answered it, there was "Chippy" standing on my front door step! What a surprise..a very pleasant surprise. We had nick-names for each other...I was Cliffy, there was Suthy, Chippy, Hubby, etc....You get the drift, right? Well, Chippy is short for Sorella Chipman! Her brother is Bishop Chipman. She lives in California, but was here in Utah for a few days and staying at one of her brother's homes. He suggested that she come visit! I am so glad that she did!
It was like I just saw her yesterday instead of 3-4 years ago at a mission reunion.
We talked about people we taught in Italy, about the Catania mission closing in few months (how sad!), we laughed thinking about the silly things that we did as sister missionaries.
We also talked about missionaries that we served with and how some have stayed very strong and active in the church, and how some have fallen away. Those are the ones that made us sad. Thinking of how strong someones testimony was 20+ years ago, and how now because of the trials of life that they are no longer active. I told her of one particular sister missionary that I love and care for who has slowly fallen away. This "sorella" lives close enough that wanting to I could make a visit to her home....but I don't. Mainly because I am afraid and don't know what to say to her. I don't want to offend her.
I told Chris (Chippy) how several times I have felt the spirit prompting me, but I don't follow it because of fear. As we spoke, I felt that same wonderful missionary spirit come over me again. I realized that even though I didn't wear a badge as a missionary, I was still an ambassador for the Lord and had a responsibility to do His work to build up His kingdom. Then Chris asked me this question...she said, "Judi, do you think "she" is happier now than she was 20 years ago serving a mission?" I replied, "I doubt it". Then maybe that is the question you should ask her. Just let her know that you love her.
Chris was so right! The spirit was so strong as we spoke an her smile was so loving and sincere. She really does have the light of Christ, and she has kept it glowing all these years.
It was such a testimony to me that the Lord is mindful of us and what we need in our lives. The next time I feel that prompting to go and visit or do something for someone, I'm going to do it!!
Chippy~thank you so much for stopping by my home last night and for helping me to remember who and what I am!

No comments: